About Me

My photo
Words in sound and in print make me smile. I love to create in any medium: paint, dance, photography, poetry, song, composition...and the list goes on. I am a fromagephile. I love thunderstorms and clowns terrify me.

Friday, June 22, 2012

Reading is believing, or rather the first step.

In Relief Society on Sunday, our instructor asked us to name our favorite book.
I don't have a favorite book but I definitely have a few comfort ones.

The first is Antoine de Saint-Éxupery's "Le Petit Prince"
a wonderful philosophical book hidden within a children's tale.
Someone named that book as their favorite before I had a chance and 
so upon reflection I thought of this other book, 
"And There Was Light." by Jacques Lusseyran

It is an incredible tale of hope, perseverance and what it 
really means to see. The man who wrote it became blind at the age of 7
and continued to make a great difference in the world
almost because of his blindness and how it let him see.
He worked for the underground during WWII
and made a huge impact for the resistance.

I would dare this book has directly influenced parts of my life,
 most especially in the way I dance and my decision to become a dancer. 
 The way he describes seeing is touching and enlightening, truly.

Here is an excerpt,
"The seeing commit a strange error. 
They believe that we know the world only through our eyes. 
For my part, I discovered that the universe consists of pressure, 
that every object and every living being reveals itself to us
 at first by a kind of quiet yet unmistakable pressure 
that indicates its intention and its form. 
I even experienced the following wonderful fact: 
A voice, the voice of a person, permits him to appear in a picture. 
When the voice of a man reaches me, 
I immediately perceive his figure, his rhythm, and most of his intentions.
 Even stones are capable of weighing on us from a distance.
 So are the outlines of distant mountains, 
and the sudden depression of a lake at the bottom of a valley."